Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hungry Girl Recipe Review - Yum Yum Brownie Muffins


Ingredients:
15 oz. Canned Pure Pumpkin
1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F

Mix the 2 ingredients together. Don't add anything else. The mixture will be thick.

Place batter into a 12-cup muffin pan lined with baking cups.

Bake for 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

Per Serving: 181 Calories, 3.5g Fat, 357mg Sodium, 37g Carbs, 2g Fiber, 20g Sugar, 2g Protein

My Thoughts:

I was drawn to this recipe because it was only 2 ingredients. I thought, "wow, how simple". I've tried recipes before where eggs or oil are swapped out for other low-cal ingredients like applesauce. Those recipes turned out great and you would never know that they are low-cal.

I saw Hungry Girl make these on her television show and she seemed to enjoy them. Quick, easy, yummy?

Think again...

"Yum Yum"? I'm confused. These are some of the worst muffins I have ever eaten. They are very dense and artificial tasting. They also leave a bad aftertaste in your mouth. I thought the pumpkin would lend an interesting flavour to the treat, but instead it has totally turned me off any swaps that include pumpkin.

Since the recipe is so thick and dense, the muffins do not settle and puff up like actual muffins. They stay in whatever shape they happen to be in when you plop them into the pan.

My advice to you is to skip this recipe. It is a loser in my books. However, I did find a use for it that wasn't awful.
I made banana soft-serve, sprinkled on some ground "Yum Yum" with a drizzle of caramel. Not terrible. The banana masks the flavour of the muffin.

Rating:

out of 5

2 comments:

  1. Before your review, I was thinking, "WOW, sounds easy and delicious!" Now, I think I will pass. Thanks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I tried making her fudge that was pumpkin and brownie mix... Disgusting!

    ReplyDelete