Thursday, March 3, 2011

Forgive. Forget.

I've been wanting to do a post about the meaning of my blog name ever since I began writing here. This morning, I read a blog post by Dawn who did the same and encouraged us all to state the personal meaning of our blog alter egos.

Forgive and Forget the Fat is about a few different things...

Forgive.

I am overweight. Hell, the BMI tells me I am obese. I didn't get here overnight. I didn't eat a pint of ice cream and a pizza and gain 70 lbs. I made a long series of small, bad choices that got me to where I am today. I grew up with food issues and low self-esteem. I ate to self-medicate. I ate to feel good or when I was sad or angry or when I felt bad about myself. I made a conscious choice to stop moving my body and became stationary for many years. I gained. I gained. I gained and tried not to think about it.

Now, I am taking charge of my life. I am changing my ways. I am making better choices. But most of all, I am forgiving myself for gaining the weight over the past few years. I am forgiving myself for the terrible choices I made that put me in this situation that I don't enjoy being in. It happened, it's done. I'm not happy about being overweight, but I will get through it and I am on the course to change. I can't change the past, but I can change the future.

Forget.

The weight is on my face, belly, arms, and everywhere else you can think of. It seems like it would be hard to forget the fat when it is all I can see. But, forget means something different. Forget means forgetting my old way of life, forgetting my old self. I'm forgetting how to soothe and comfort myself with food. I'm forgetting that self-conscious person I used to be. Forgetting the stationary person who sat around and watched television all day and ate whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted.

I'm forgiving and forgetting my old self, moving forward and never looking back.

Hope that made sense to everyone and maybe even helped someone along in their journey!

2 comments:

  1. I love the reason you called your blog forgive and forget - there's a lesson in there...for all of us. If we don't forget our old ways ..how can we be sure this weight won't go back on...and it mustn't. Thanks for making me think
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thanks for sharing this. My blog title, "Leah: The Kind Weight Watcher" is not so clever! My name is Leah, I love The Kind Diet and I'm a member of Weight Watchers.

    :-) Great thoughts on here, Liz.

    ReplyDelete