Thursday, July 28, 2011

New Experiences- Kayaking

On Tuesday night, the Mister and I decided to take advantage of a new local summer program in our city. We went out to the nature reserve and went kayaking.

Now, I have never been kayaking before and I am not a great swimmer. So, I have been skeptical about the whole thing. I always thought that it was super easy to tip over and be upside down in a boat in the water. Nightmare! Mister has been out a few times and really loves it. So, I thought- let's do it! Conquer a fear. Try something new.

Well...




...I loved it!

I know in the past, let's say 2 years ago, I would never have gone. I would have made every excuse in the book not to go. But, as I have become more athletic and confident in my skills in the exercise department- I am willing to try a lot more things. I think that is one of the greatest things about getting fit and healthy.

I am not totally sure of the calorie burn for kayaking. But it is a decent workout. It's not running, but it is along the same lines of biking at least- just in the upper body department.

I encourage people to try sometime new. You never know! You might find your new passion. I will definitely be going out on the water again sometime soon!

What new exercise have you tried lately?

4 comments:

  1. Awesome. Dont worry about the calories, you did something new and very healthy

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ SO FAT 4 NOW - Exactly. Just being out and doing something is great for the body and mind! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I know how it is to have your weight hold you back from doing things like that, but its so good its not anymore! I recently went hiking and actually liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely on my list of things to do! Looks like so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete